(page last updated 30/08/98).
- "I was saying the other day, how often the most vulnerable area
for goalies is between their legs."
- Andy Gray, Sky Sport
- Richard Keys: "Well Roy, do you think that you'll have to
finish above Manchester United to win the league?"
Roy Evans: "You have to finish above everyone to win the
Richard: " "
- "It's now 1-1, an exact reversal of the score on
- Radio 5 Live
- "Football today, it's like a game of chess. It's all about
- Newcastle United Fan, Radio 5 Live
- "I'm not a believer in luck but I do believe you need it."
- Alan Ball
- "Merseyside derbies usually last 90 minutes and I'm sure
today's won't be any different."
- Trevor Brooking
- "Dumbarton player Steve McCahill has limped off with a badly
- Tom Ferrie
- "And I honestly believe we can go all the way to Wembley unless
somebody knocks us out."
- Dave Bassett
- "And Arsenal now have plenty of time to dictate the last few
- Peter Jones
- "What makes this game so delightful is that when both teams get
the ball they are attacking their opponents goal."
- Jimmy Hill
- "Newcastle, of course, unbeaten in their last five wins."
- Brian Moore
- "Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in
the air for even longer."
- David Ackfield
- "What I said to them at half time would be unprintable on the
- Gerry Francis
- "If there weren't such a thing as football, we'd all be
- Mick Lyons
- "He's one of those footballers whose brains are in his
- Derek Johnstone, BBC TV Scotland, 1994
- "I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel."
- Stuart Pearce, 1992
- Jimmy Hill: "Don't sit on the fence Terry, what chance do you
think Germany has got of getting through?"
Terry Venables: "I think it's fifty-fifty"
- "There's nobody fitter at his age, except maybe Raquel
- Ron Atkinson lauds Gordon Strachan, 39
- "If I walked on water, my accusers would say it is because I
- Berti Vogts, Germany coach
- "You don't have to have been a horse to be a jockey."
- Arrigo Sacchi, Italy coach, defending a meagre playing record
- "The only way we will be going to Europe is if the club splash
out and take us all to Eurodisney."
- Dean Holdsworth, Wimbledon
- "If the players want to make it hard for me, I am happy to make
it twice as hard for them."
- Wendy Toms, the first female referee to officiate in a
- "I think having Wasps around here as well gives us that little
buzz around the place."
- Ray Wilkins on the QPR-Wasps groundshare
- "It took a lot of bottle for Tony to own up."
- Ian Wright on the Arsenal captain's confession to alcoholism
Yet more footbal quotes
- "Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams..." -
Kilmarnock fans to the Rangers keeper after he had been diagnosed with mild
- I've told the players we need to win so that I can have the cash to
buy some new ones"
- Chris Turner, Peterborough manager, before LC QF, 1992.
- "Tell the Kraut to get his ass up front. We don't pay a million
for a guy to hang around in defence."
- NY Cosmos executive, on Beckenbauer's positioning.
- "I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars. The
rest I just squandered" George Best.
- "If we played like that every week we wouldn't be so
- Bryan Robson, Man U, 1990.
- "That's great, tell him he's Pele and get him back on."
- John Lambie, Partick Thistle manager, when told a concussed
striker did not know who he was.
- "If you can't stand the heat in the dressing-room, get out of
- TERRY VENABLES, Capital Gold
- The crowd think that Todd handled the ball they must have seen
something that nobody else did
- Barry Davies (1975)
- Manchester United take more in programme sales than we take on the
- Lawrie McMenemy, Southampton
- Love is good for footballers, as long as it is not at half-time
Richard Moller Nielsen, Denmark coach
- I was about to say, before something far more interesting
- John Motson, France v Bulgaria
- Why didn't you just belt it son? - Gareth Southgate's mother
reflects publicly on her son's penalty miss.
- I was shocked when I was first introduced to the fans because they
brought out a sheep, cut its head off and then smeared blood over my
forehead - Manchester United's Ronnie Johnsen on life with Besiktas, Turkey.
- The score is Sunderland nil, Leicester nil, the temperature is nil
and the entertainment value is not much above nil
- Sunderland v Leicester, Radio 5 Live
- This is an unusual Scotland side because they have good players
- praise for the Under-21s from Javier Clemente, Spain's coach
- There are some great defenders here, I just don't know their names
- David Ginola of Newcastle and France
- It's sod's law. Now I've got time to improve my golf, it's the wrong
time of year
- Howard Wilkinson when sacked by Leeds
- I know where he should have put his flag up, and he'd have got
plenty of help
- Ron Atkinson at Stamford Bridge
- The referee was booking everyone. I thought he was filling in his
- Ian Wright
- "Asking Ruud Gullit to perform in this sort of match is like
asking Kiri te Kanawa to jam with the Spice Girls"
- 5 Live's Pat Murphy on the lousy pitch at Derby and the
ill-tempered nature of the game
World Cup 98 quotes
- "Pires has got something about him, he can go both ways
depending on who's facing him" - David Pleat
- "Batistuta gets most of his goals with the ball" - Ian St
- "The good news for Nigeria is that they're two-nil down very
early in the game" - Kevin Keegan
- "Moreano thought that the full back was gonna come up behind
and give him one really hard" - Big Ron
- "Adams is stretching himself, looking for Seaman" - Brian
- "I wouldn't be surprised if this game went all the way to the
finish" - Ian St John
- "Apart from their goals, Norway haven't scored" - Terry
- "The Croatians don't play well without the ball" - Barry
- "It had to go in, but it didn't" - Peter Drury
- "That's lifted the crowd up into the air" - Barry Davies
- "He never fails to hit the target. But that was a miss."
- "Batistuta is very good at pulling off defenders" - Kevin
More Kevin Keegan (retired footballer/active TV audience annoyer)
- "Only one team can win this game....and that team is
England", followed by Brian Moore "But wait a minute, here's Dan
- "Chile have three options - they could win or they could
- "That would have been a goal if the goalkeeper hadn't saved
- "I came to Nantes two years ago and it's much the same today,
except that it's completely different"
- "A tremendous strike which hit the defender full on the arm -
and it nearly came off"
Some Big Rons
- "Zidane is not very happy, because he's suffering from the
- "He dribbles a lot and the opposition don't like it - you can
see it all over their faces"
- "They've picked their heads up off the ground and they now have
a lot to carry on their shoulders"
- "Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw"
- "He sliced the ball when he had it on a plate"
- "I'm afraid they've left their legs at home"
Robert Chasmer -
(C) KAOS 1995-2000.